Here are some tatting terms with their equivalents.
The list is not exhaustive; please email me if you can add
I'd also like to hear from you if you think any of these are not equivalents, and
- Ball thread: chain thread, auxillary thread, working
- Block tatting: tally tatting.
- Bridge/bridging: knotless method.
- Cluny tatting: leaf tatting, petal tatting.
- Double stitch: cow hitch, half-hitch, lark's head.
- Foundation thread: anchor thread, knot bearer, ring
thread, running thread, shuttle thread, carrier thread.
- Hook tatting: tatting with a needle
- Josephine chain (jc): spiral chain, twist stitch.
- Link loop: mock picot, simulated picot, start loop.
- Mignonette stitch: net tatting.
- Mock ring: false ring.
- Oeillet: dot, rosette, josephine knot.
- Picot sticks: pearl sticks, spacers.
- Plain stitch: french stitch, half stitch, single
stitch, under stitch.
- Purl stitch: english stitch, over stitch.
- Quatrefoil: diamond.
- Ring: loop, oval, circle, lozenge.
- Set stitch: cord, lattice, node, ric-rac, ripple,
ruffle, victorian sets.
- Split-ring tatting: wrong-way tatting.
- Split-ring, mousehole ring.
- Transfer: capsize, click, flip, turn.
- Trefoil: clover.
- Pearl tatting, two-edged chain.
- Split chain, hooked chain.
The list was originally compiled by Lisa Armstrong from published sources and has
been added to by various people.